Sunday, December 14, 2008

Concert Review 12/13: John Legend & Raphael Saadiq @ The Durham Performing Arts Center, Durham, NC...



So first off, early in the day yesterday I was able to participate in a Food Drive with Raphael Saadiq at a Wal-Mart in Raleigh. He was real cool, and seemed very humble and interested in helping out. ALWAYS remember to give back people! Especially during this rough economic time, it's more important than ever that we do our part to help others....
Now for the show, Raphael did his thing. Performed a lot of joints off the new album and off course one of my favorites from Tony Toni Tone, "Anniversary." He has good stage presence, not amazing, but good. His voice was great, no problems there. His band was good, overall very good set by Mr. Saadiq.
Now for Mr. Legend. I was really interested in seeing John perform as I've never seen him before. And let me just say....WOW! He's amazing. You must check him out if you haven't already. From what I've heard about his shows in the past, he seems to have really evolved from just being a guy that sits at a piano the entire time. Of course he has a few more uptempo songs now and that helps but I thought whoever outlined the details of the show, which I'm sure included John himself, did an outstanding job of mixing the slow and fast paced songs so that you didn't fall asleep from all the slow jams! He surprised me when he did "Computer Love" by Zapp & Roger. He brought a woman on stage and she had a BLAST. I loooove "Green Light" and he had the whole place rockin when he did this.
The venue was sold out and let me tell you, If you're ever in the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina, you must check out an event at this Durham Performing Arts Center. It is truly amazing and is by far the best venue I've seen on the East Coast.
I recorded some video and hope to have that up soon. Soo keep it Riiiight there!

No comments: